Thursday, May 19, 2016

18/52 Art Journal Project - Topic 21 "Paint"


Good Afternoon Everyone!

*Just to make clear to everyone, I have messed up on editing today's video. If you notice in the actual video the title at the beginning says topic 20...there is my mess up! THIS WEEK IS TOPIC 21...just to make things clear*

Okay! So this week I am working with A LOT of paint and I'm kind putting gesso in the pot of all of this as well.

So check out the video here below:



Topic 21 | May 19th
"Paint"

I really wanted a busy page this week. I wanted to get more in depth. I wanted to pile the gesso on so thick that when I dried it with a hair dryer it would give me cracks, which unfortunately didn't show in the video...DANG IT! It really was so cool though!

Then after a nice layer of blue and green Neocolor, I added LOADS of paint. I moved it around with the end of my brush and with the brush part as the same time. I scraped and swirled because I wanted to just focus on what all paint can really do.


I love it when there are layers of paint to run your fingers over when it's all dry. The over all page has such a energetic flow to it that I am pleased with. The sunburst parts where my favorite.


I attempted to give this abstract swirly mess a ground with a slight touch of a horizon line in the far off distance. That's my landscape side constantly wanted to come out. I tell you though...there is something about adding a horizon line that just seems to set the whole page in place...give the subject something to sit on.


Although, I did like the abstract swirly mess by itself, it needed something to completely finish it all off and my flower stamp did the trick. You can still see a lot of the paint and swirly details through the flower but all together I think just seems work so much better. Just image a flower with all that detail, swirl and design all in it. Ahhhh...happiness.


I will have to admit, I've had Georgia O'Keeffe on my mind here of late and I can't help but see this as an art journal version of her paintings. A good example I think would be maybe her skull over the desert ground. Yeah, I'm obsessing over her work right now. I had no idea she did so many great western landscape paintings. I always thought she just painted a bunch of flowers.


Anyways, rant over! I hope you all are inspired to drag a loaded brush of paint across your paper. Dig through paint, smooch it, swirl it...and just have fun figuring out just what paint can really do.

May God Bless You and May You Bless God!

No comments:

Post a Comment