Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Sketchbook and DLP CatchUp




While I was taking a break to try and study a little bit more on composition I started doing some random sketching with the challenges from the DLP in the back of my head. At first with this modeling paste page, I had in mind to use fabric for the girls dress but I realized that I already did the fabric challenge...so behind! So here I thought I might share how my sketchbook has helped me catch up in my DLP.




May Theme
Touchy Feely (Texture)
May 16
Art Challenge:  Modeling Paste*
Journal Prompt:  Rising to the Occasion



Here I wanted to show you the first stages from my sketch to the final product. I did this as well for the following challenge page spread below this one. What I realized while trying to restudy things, I needed to get back to sketching and figuring out the science of composition.


It's not perfect that's for sure but I really have become a little obsessed with this pieces in my DLP. I do believe these are the best two pieces in my DLP and I'm quite proud of myself for taking time to re learn something and then execute it just like I want.


So I get most of my ideas from pinterest...


I flip through and find a bunch of images to collage together into one drawing/art journal page. 
Can you tell what is used in what page? It's tough one I know. Then I figure out how I can get the viewers eye to move around my page by using compositional rules and tricks. It has been a great help re studying composition.


So the modeling paste came in by just using gesso and applying it thickly through some handmade stencils I made. I cut out the girl with underpaper and painted the Horseshoe Bend landscape at the bottom. Can you find the small spots of thick gesso peeping though the painting?



May Theme
Touchy Feely (Texture)
May 9
Art Challenge:  Stitching
Journal Prompt:  "All that I'm after is life full of laughter."

Check out the DLP at Art 5 Academy HERE to join the fun.


I finally got a sewing machine...my Grandmother's 1966 Singer Touch and Sew to be exact and I just love having something of her with me always. So I put this challenge to use with my sewing machine and got a little wild and crazy.


And again it all started with a sketch. I made a little quick note as well of an idea for a future page. Sketchbooks are super important even when it comes to art journaling, although it is a rather fast pace fly by the seat of your pants art form, it really helps plan out a nice asthetically pleasing page. It allows me to experiment and make mistakes rather than worrying about messing up in your journal.


This page started with a sketch yes, but underneath all of that was a quick scrap of unwanted paint onto another journal page in my DLP. I liked the colors so much that I pasted my deer down on the colors and went from there.


I can't really express to you how extremely forfilling it is to see your piece come to life after developing it from a sketch. It's really something I hardly did in school because we were given still lives to paint and there was no need for honest to goodness sketching. 


So the deer I actually drew onto a piece of file folder cardstock paper and ran it through my sewing machine to get that tangled look in it's antlers. I glued it down on the page in the scraped paint like I mentioned above and went from there with mainly watercolor and my black pen for detail.


So a lot has been put into these pages and knowing that, you become much more attached to them when you spend a little extra time on them. I challenge you to go to your sketchbook first before you start an art journal page. Not all the time because I still like to just sit down and make something without thinking about it, but when you want something really nice in your journal, trust your sketchbook to help you out.

Hope you have found some inspiration!
May God Bless You and May You Bless God!





1 comment:

  1. Great job Miranda!! I'm loving all the new stuff since your break!!:) beautiful work lady!!:) keep up the ever-inspiring, jaw dropping amazingness❤❤❤ ***lisa***

    ReplyDelete